FAQs- Thrive! Wellness Center
Looking for pain relief? Or interested in how to improve your health and wellness? Chiropractic is concerned with disorders of the musculoskeletal and nervous systems, and how the two can affect each other and your overall health. Chiropractors use adjustments and spinal manipulations to restore the normal functioning of the body and help you live well.
If you’re new to chiropractic care, you likely have questions about how it works and what you can expect. Read on for answers to some FAQs to get you started:
While we work with many insurance companies, we’ve found that most of them do not pay for the amount of care needed. Preventive care is core to our philosophy, and insurance companies won’t typically pay for prevention. Our mission is to help you see results, and results that last take time. We believe you deserve access to a meaningful amount of care and the opportunity to work with our team over time at an affordable price with an integrative health plan. For this and other reasons we’ve chosen to partner with ChiroHealth USA to best take care of our patients health care needs as health care professionals. Health insurance is similar to car insurance. You have car insurance in case something major happens, but it doesn’t cover the regular maintenance of the vehicle.
At Thrive! Wellness Center we are credentialed with Medicare, but coverage depends on multiple factors that vary from patient to patient and vary based on their specific plan. For questions, contact us directly so we can verify benefits/eligibility and obtain specific plan details. We encourage patients to instead consider ChiroHealth USA. At Thrive! Wellness Center, we have partnered with ChiroHealth USA to best take care of our patients health care needs. Medicare may limit the services or procedures patients receive or require the patient to pay out of pocket. For example, Medicare pays for SPINAL adjustments that show “functional improvement.” They NEVER pay for x-rays ordered by a chiropractor, or extremity adjustments (knee, hip, shoulder, etc) – even if that is the chief complaint. Working with ChiroHealth USA allows us to maintain the highest standards of quality care. Our clinical recommendations are based on YOUR needs, not the restrictions of Medicare while keeping treatment affordable for you.
The initial consultation is focused on the primary health issue or concern and whether or not chiropractic care is a valid option. If so, the visit proceeds, and the chiropractor will obtain a thorough history. This includes the prospective patient’s medical history, injuries or illnesses, medications, surgeries, family history, and previous or current treatments provided by other health professionals. A discussion of their health goals is also appropriate at this time. After the initial chiropractic consultation with a chiropractic health care professional, an in-office, thorough chiropractic exam is conducted that includes tests, such as orthopedic tests, neurological tests, range of motion, and spinal palpation to assess the patients.
X-rays can play an important role in diagnosis and are taken only when a clinical need has been determined after taking a patient’s case history and conducting a full comprehensive chiropractic exam. X-rays provide a closer look at the bony anatomy to make sure chiropractic treatment is warranted and safe. For more complex conditions such as a limited range of motion or injuries due to an auto accident, initial x-ray analysis may be required to provide the information needed to guide the patient’s treatment program. We offer a variety of treatments at Thrive! Wellness Center in St. Petersburg.
Chiropractic treatment may require a series of chiropractic visits. An important thing to look for in a chiropractor is one who adjusts your treatment plan as you progress. It’s not possible to know in advance how many treatments you’ll need. Initial recommendations are based on CLINICAL needs. 1) What is your current condition — how much pain/dysfunction are you in, for how long, etc?. What co-morbidities may be present that would slow progress? Nutritional status? 2) Your history – have you had previous episodes? Have you had other injuries? Surgeries? 3) X-rays – the more degeneration or misalignments seen on X-ray help dictate the frequency and duration of care. A person with lots of issues…with lots of degeneration…etc will need more care than someone with less. A reasonable expectation is 4-6 months of tapering care, followed by a re-evaluation and new treatment plan based on your individual condition and how the function of your body has improved.
Many people visit a chiropractor in St. Petersburg because they are in pain, have poor posture, or they may be seeking injury prevention or pain relief. You may experience other benefits from chiropractic care, such as
- It’s Great for Pain Relief. One in four adults in the United States seeks help with back or neck pain every year, and that’s where chiropractic therapy and chiropractic adjustment benefits come in. By adjusting your body’s alignment, chiropractors are able to provide natural pain relief. In fact, it is one of the most common non-surgical treatments for back pain.
- It’s a Drug-Free Pain Management Alternative. Chiropractic treatment to provide pain relief can be safer than traditional medications. That is to say, chiropractic treatments work to improve the overall function of your body, rather than target a single symptom.
- It Targets the Causes of Pain Rather Than the Symptoms. Did you know that your spine contains nerve fibers flowing both to and from all parts of your body? This is known as your nervous system. And this system is of vital importance, as it ensures the healthy function of every part of your body, right down to the cells. Only 10% of our nervous system carries pain signals. The other 90% of the system controls and coordinates the function of the entire body. So pain is only “the tip of the iceberg.” Chiropractors are trained health care professionals that focus on the spine and nervous system, which is linked to every other part of your body. By doing so, they are more likely to make your pain a thing of the past.
- It Can Be Used Alongside Medication. It can be frustrating to experience constant pain. This is even more apparent if the medication you use to combat pain doesn’t quite get the job done. While chiropractic treatment can be an alternative to medication, it can also be used in tandem with it, meaning you can use two forms of relief at once. Doctors of chiropractic treat the root of an issue, not just the symptom.
- It’s a Non-Invasive Form of Treatment. Rather than using surgical procedures or foreign substances, chiropractors use pressure and movement. This hands-on approach means you can go through the full diagnosis and treatment process stress-free. And before you go, your chiropractor will likely recommend exercises that you can do on your own. This means you will be able to continue your treatment on your own time, from the comfort of your home.
- It Improves Your Mental Health. About 450 million people worldwide suffer from some form of mental health condition. Anxiety and depression are the most common of these, both of which are only made worse by physical symptoms. A visit to your chiropractor can help lower your blood pressure, as well as reduce anxiety. After a chiropractic adjustment, your body will release several hormones into your system. A few of these include neurotensin and oxytocin, which relieve pain and improve communication within your nervous system.
- It Supports Your Immune System. A healthy immune system should be able to fight off most of the bacteria and viruses that it comes into contact with, with only minimal assistance from antibiotics or other drugs. Because the nervous system controls the functions of cells, organs, and tissues of the body, a misalignment can reduce the ability of the immune system. Chiropractic care can realign the spine, freeing up the immune system to fight off intruders.
- It’s Safe for Pregnant Women. During pregnancy, a woman’s body goes through many significant changes that impact the nervous system’s function. Ligaments in the pelvic area loosen to enable childbirth; at the same time, weight increase in a woman’s core can lead to an instability that places increased pressure on an expectant mother’s spine. Evidence suggests that regular chiropractic care may improve the probability of successful natural childbirth.
- It Treats a Variety of Conditions. You may be surprised to learn that it’s also beneficial for arthritis, sciatica, sports injuries, and herniated discs. If you have asthma, consider making an appointment with a chiropractor! A misaligned spine can result in poor lung function, as the nerve impulses are disrupted. What if your problems are in your stomach and not your lungs or back? You guessed it. Nerves in your spine also connect to your stomach.
- It Can Help You Sleep Better. When your spine is in alignment, your nervous system is as well. Some patients get into bed already feeling the effects of a spinal misalignment. Poor sleep only makes this worse over time. Spinal adjustments can improve blood flow which aids in promoting relaxation and gets your body ready for the night ahead, which will allow you to get some much-needed rest.
- It Is Usually Less Expensive Than Conventional Medical Treatments. Chiropractic care can save you a ton of money when it’s all said and done. In fact, some patients have saved as much as 50% by going to a chiropractor rather than using a traditional treatment and medication plan.
- It’s Excellent for Post-Accident Care. Chiropractic therapy encourages the healing process, helping make the repairs your body needs.
Seasonal or not, allergies are the result of an exaggerated response by the immune system to substances that it recognizes as foreign. Through manipulation of the joints and soft tissue either through traditional chiropractic adjustment or spinal decompression, chiropractors treat and can help restore alignment and open the necessary pathways of communication between the brain and spine, promoting a stronger immune system. Adjustments may also help with the management of chronic asthma. Chiropractic treatment has shown to improve non-specific bronchial hyperreactivity, and decrease patient-rated asthma severity.
There should be nothing unsafe about frequent chiropractic visits, but of course this would not be forever as one’s body stabilizes. It all depends on what YOU need. There is no “one size fits all”. We focus on a customized plan for YOU. A thorough exam will help determine the different types of adjustments to suit individual needs or preferences. The American Chiropractic Association says manipulation procedures are quite safe. And our chiropractor’s objective, as practiced in this office, is about improving your health throughout your entire life.
Chiropractic is NOT only for short term treatment. Often more traditional chiropractors will choose to do short term or pain based care. The most important thing for you to understand is that the goal of treatment will depend on the type of treatment. A chiropractor specifically designs a treatment plan for the patient. In general, in the absence of progressive worsening of a condition during chiropractic care, a common chiropractic program is 3 times per week for 2 to 4 weeks, followed by a re-evaluation. If improvement is noted, a tapering of treatment frequency is appropriate while introducing self-help and home-based recommendations. Over time, the frequency of manipulations and/or spinal mobilizations are usually reduced to an as-needed follow-up plan.
It’s safe for women to visit a chiropractor during the entire pregnancy. Not only can routine chiropractic care help manage pain in your back, hips, and joints, it can also establish pelvic balance. That can provide your baby with as much space as possible over the course of your pregnancy. But keep in mind that a pregnant woman should not visit a chiropractor if she has the following: vaginal bleeding, ruptured amniotic membranes, cramping, sudden onset of pelvic pain, premature labor, placenta previa, placenta abruption, ectopic pregnancy, and moderate to severe toxemia.
Pediatric chiropractic is known to be the most popular form of practitioner-based complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapy for children. Its primary focus is to provide wellness care to children, and at present many parents prefer to have their children receive this alternative treatment. Children of all ages, from infants to teenagers, can benefit from chiropractic care. Like adults, children often suffer from back and neck pain, headaches and spinal injuries that have been shown to respond well to chiropractic treatment. Being born can be traumatic for little spines, whether vaginally or c-section. It is, and always will be, easier and less expensive to grow healthy children than to repair damaged adults.